In its third edition, Italiano Junior has been enriched with the addition of a thousand new lemmas and new received meanings of the existing lemmas. The phraseology exemplifying the use of words has been thoroughly revised too.
The lemmary consists of 30,000 entries comprising the main neologisms that are useful for keeping up to date with linguistic novelties in the political and social fields (antipolitica, badante, globalizzazione, road map), with the most recent scientific and technological terminology (biomassa, iPhone, phishing, termovalorizzatore) and with terms that have been made popular by mass-media and advertising (craccare, docufilm, low cost, tronista).
The most difficult terms are explained in a language which is accessible to young people, and the examples are taken from everyday language.
The different pieces of information are signposted in an explicit and effective way:
• The lemmas and the numbers next to every received meaning are highlighted in different colours
• Synonyms and antonyms, proverbs, diminutives, majorative and pejorative values, and etymological notes are easily identifiable within the body of each entry;
• The finite forms of irregular verbs are given in alphabetical order;
• Every lemma is followed by syllabization with stress marks;
• Cross-references enable one to easily find the present tense of conjugated irregular verb forms and the main lemmas starting from possible graphic variants;
• Precise indications enable one to avoid the most frequent spelling mistakes.
The lemmary is implemented with:
• grammar files providing some Italian language rules (stress, apostrophe, femminine/masculine, upper case/lower case, plural/singular, punctuation, syllabization, foreign terms, common places)
• tables of verb paradigms and list of main irregular verbs
• an index of italianised pronunciations of foreign lemmas.